If you haven’t heard, the Toronto Mayor, Rob Ford, supposedly appears in a video smoking crack. Gawker wants donations to buy the video for $200,000. Well this seems like a 80/20 situation. 80% of the damage done in 20% of the time that this goes on.
Here are some things to consider about this strange news item:
1. If they don’t get enough money to buy this video, then we don’t know if it really exists, but the damage is done.
2. If they buy it, then they are paying-off criminals. After all they are self-professed crack dealers. They are the gangsters that bring about most of the shootings and murders in Toronto.
3. If they buy it, they need to buy the device that recorded the video or we can’t tell if it was altered.
4. It will take a long time to analyze the video to determine if it is likely unaltered. If it is altered or fake, it doesn’t matter, the damage is done.
5. While the video may be unaltered, we might not ever know if it was a continuous recording or one that was recorded selectively for some desired effect.
6. No matter what happens, the damage is done — damage that goes far beyond one mayor or city. Welcome to the brave new journalism.